In 2003, Metabo switched all servers of the Metabo Group to the CMS TYPO3. Visually and technically, this had the following advantages:
- The international version focuses on the distribution function. Every customer, dealer and interested party gets to the corresponding country-specific page.
- Administration of various websites in one installation, including a uniform layout.
- In addition, a large number of company sites and microsites in the TYPO3 installation, e.g. as independent websites for international product launches.
- Since 2010, the main catalogs have also been offered in the individual websites, filtered according to target groups.
- Connection of external services via interface, e.g. for products and human resources.
Switching to the TYPO3 CMS and away from a static website had the following advantages:
- Design and functionality are optimally combined: you are always close to the product and the target groups and at the same time graphically sophisticated.
- The technology behind it is state of the art in every aspect.
- New workflows and a distribution of workload are made possible and optimized by the new CMS.
Some highlights from the project:
- The international version focuses on the distribution function. Every customer, dealer or interested party should be able to access the desired country version without wasting time or detours. If there is no country-specific page (yet), the international version takes over all information and service functions.
- Within the TYPO3 installation, Metabo maintains a large number of company sites and microsites, e.g. as independent websites for international product launches.
- The product catalogs and the image and text data catalogues, which are supplied country-specifically by a media-neutral database at Metabo via XML and are also linked to TYPO3. Since 2010, these main catalogs have also been available in the individual websites, filtered according to target groups.
- The product-related search for spare parts leads the user to the corresponding spare parts list based on the model number.
- The dealer search, which - in Germany with a geocoded output based on the actual distance between customer and dealer - simplifies the path to the most relevant search results. In the background, a corresponding external database was linked to the TYPO3 CMS.
- Metabo regularly conducts online surveys on current product and application areas. Depending on the form, Metabo uses special survey tools such as MFC-Polls or corresponding TYPO3 extensions as a technical basis.
- HTML newsletters are created regularly for different countries in the TYPO3 backend and sent directly from TYPO3 via a corresponding newsletter service provider.
- There is also a connection between the frontend/TYPO3 and the Metabo personnel software: Vacancies are displayed in the frontend and the questionnaires from online applications are redirected directly to the personnel software via an interface.
- Metabo maintains an extensive press area with RSS feed in all online presences.
In the years that followed, smaller layout adjustments and optimizations of the Metabo websites were made continuously.