Heimwerker.de – Just DIY it.
|Name||Marketing Factory Digital GmbH|
|Sector||Marketing Factory Digital GmbH "MFD" operates and markets portals including henkelhaus.de, heimwerker.de, bau-welt.de, ratgeber.de, do-it-yourself.de or gartencenter.de.|
|Period||1996 – 2016|
Back in the 90s, heimwerker.de made a name for itself as the first German DIY online portal. Still in 2016, it is one of the DIY portals with the widest coverage in Germany with content relating to DIY, renovation, construction and crafts.
heimweker.de has been officially IVW certified since June 2010.
The early days from 1996 to 2011
Back in the mid-90s, heimwerker.de made a name for itself as the first German DIY online portal.
- bau-markt.de, gartenwelt.de and heimwerker.de have been online since the mid-1990s.
- The three services were merged in 2002 to become the leading German-language DIY portal at www.heimwerker.de
- Visits and hits to heimwerker.de grew steadily and finally reached 1,000,000 visitors per month.
- There was a comprehensive technical relaunch in 2006: The complete service migrated to the TYPO3 content management system.
- The TYPO3 commerce / tx_commerce for TYPO3 extension, co-developed by Marketing Factory was used for the product section with over 50,000 products. This extension organised the integration of the partners’ product ranges.
Two new ideas were put in place at the start of 2007 for the TYPO3 product search:
- From this date, links from the search results could be directed immediately to the online store partners.
- A download was available for Firefox and IE 7 browsers, which integrated the heimwerker.de product search into the local browser’s search function.
Back then, the portal consisted of over 70,000 pages, sub-divided into News, DIY Advice, DIY Service and Products and Shops. At the same time, all sections were constantly being expanded. A large number of topic-related online partners were integrated into the Advice, Service and Product areas:
From the content-managed microsite to e-commerce communication.