Websites running on a 6.2 ELTS or a 7.6 LTS TYPO3 installation should be updated to a newer LTS-version – version 6.2. ELTS by the middle of the first quarter of 2018 and version 7.6 LTS by the end of the third quarter of 2018 at the latest.
Since April 4th 2017 there is a new TYPO3 version with Long-term Support available: TYPO3 v8 LTS (version 8.7). This version will be further developed and will officially be provided with updates until at least March 2020.
- Improvement of the performance and loading time of the backend and frontend by the use of PHP 7:
Expected performance boost of up to 40% compared to TYPO3 version 7.
- New database interface „Doctrine DBAL“ which allows the utilization of different database management systems.
- Fully responsive backend, which allows editors and integrators to work comfortably with TYPO3 on their smartphones.
- Improved image processing functionality: Individual adjustment of aspect ratios and image sizes, predefinition of areas and aspect ratios for specific devices, selection of a focal point of an image etc.
- New backend editor „CKEditor“, which lays the foundation for an improved frontend editing functionality.
- A new, flexible form framework allows editors to easily create complex forms and surveys with just a few clicks.
- Editors can now decide individually per language, whether single fields should inherit the characteristics of the default language or if these characteristics should be overwritten by language-dependent characteristics.
After the expiration of the support period, errors and security vulnerabilities will no longer be officially eliminated. As a result, the probability of successful hacker attacks is increased enormously.
Only an upgrade offers the highest possible level of stability, security, performance and future-proofness for the system. Moreover, innovations and further developments are no longer available, as they are not compatible with outdated versions.